In the 18th and 19 th centuries the research work undertaken was for the Temple of Athena. In 189 R Kekule and Karl Humann visited the city and decided to do archaeological research, the systematic excavation thus began. The excavation work was for the Berlin Museum.
In 1898 great part of the city was revealed and the excavation was stopped by Theodor Weigand to be prepared for the publication.
The members of the German Institute of Archaeology in Istanbul carried out the superficial research work from time to time in Priene.